Saturday, April 22, 2017

Oh Nathan.

So, I had a baby.



I told Shaun last week that I felt like the fierceness of Nathan's birth was being overshadowed by his stay in the NICU, which has completely taken over our lives. So before his birth becomes even more buried by xrays, surgery, feedings, pumping etc etc etc I want to write it down. I'm going to try to make it through this whole post without mentioning the NICU again. Let's see how it goes!

Nathan's birth was nothing like Bowen or Hannah's. With both Bowen and Hannah I was induced at 41 weeks. I kept joking with Shaun that "this baby is going to be a March baby." I was due Feb 23rd, and expected I would, once again, go at least a week over. Well, Nathan had other plans.

I had scheduled an induction for Feb 28th, and thought to myself, I'll probably be in labor for a while and have a baby March 1. Well, as my induction approached, my to do list grew. Soon it was Sunday night (Feb 26th) and I was making a list of everything I needed to accomplish the next day before my induction the following day. On that to do list, along with laundry and cleaning, was registering at the hospital. (oops.)

Well, as I was getting out of the shower the night of the 26th, I could just not seem to dry off. Shaun was laughing at me, because I was frantically trying to dry myself off so I could put Hannah to bed (who was up way past her bedtime) and I just could not get dry. Finally, I went to the bathroom and I said to Shaun, "I think my water broke, and I'm leaking..." He didn't think I was serious. It took a good 30 minutes of "no, really, i'm wet." before Shaun believed me. Then we had a "oh crap, now what?" moment.  I wasn't have contractions. The family that was supposed to watch Bowen and Hannah were out of town and getting into town the next day. I texted our back up family. It was about 11;30 at that point, and Hannah was finally asleep, I thought to myself, "I'll try to get some sleep, if I start to have contractions, I'm sure they will be mild, and if no contractions, I will go in first thing in the morning." Well, I wasn't able to sleep. At all. About 1 in the morning, I started having contractions. I was just laying in bed, and started wondering what on earth we were going to do with Bowen and Hannah. At 2, I got out of bed, woke Shaun up, told him we should probably call our back up family, and think about heading to the hospital. I didn't think I was close to having a baby, as much as I wanted to get to the hospital to get an epidural and take a nap. I was so so so tired. I had an epidural with both Bowen and Hannah and gotten a nap with both of them before giving birth. I just wanted a nap.

So, at 2, I got in the shower, and told Shaun to let the Harpers know we would probably be there around 3. We didn't have a hospital bag ready, and nothing at all ready for the kids. I thought I would stand in the shower, and enjoy the hot water, and let Shaun get everything ready.  The shower was heavenly. The only reason I got out was because I used all the hot water..... The contractions were so manageable, I thought for sure I had hours and hours left to labor. I just wanted a nap.

We dropped Bowen and Hannah off shortly before 3. Sitting in the car was miserable. I was much much much more comfortable standing. We got to the hospital shortly after 3, and walked in, realizing we had dropped off my hospital bag with the kiddos. Oops. We went up to L&D and told the lady my water had broken and I was there to have a baby. The lady sitting next to her said "I recognize your name." She had just looked at the induction schedule for the following day and I was on the list. We just got there a little early. :D

They took me right back and gave me a gown to wear, I explained that I had worn my own clothes for the previous 2 births, and I wanted to do that again. The nurse argued with me about how I was required to wear the hospital gown. We went back and forth for 20 minutes. She did an IV, and was asking general questions about who my OB was, how far along I was, etc etc etc. Finally, mostly to get her to stop talking about it, I put on the hospital gown, and got into bed, so they could do their required monitoring for 20 minutes. I was not happy about having to be in bed for 20 minutes, especially because all I wanted was a nap.

After being in bed for a few minutes, she checked me, and I swear it was the longest vaginal check of my entire life. I remember thinking "what the heck is taking so long?!" Right as she was done, my water broke, again, all over her. Like soaking her shirt. It was by far the best part. I was so frustrated with her for not letting me wear my clothes it was a nice little pay back. I, of course, apologized and continued laughing.

I remember one nurse talking to another and she said "She's just going to go." I didn't understand what that meant at first, then she turned to me, and told me I was at a 9. I was delusional at that time, and I remember asking if I still could get an epidural. I wanted a nap so bad. (Did I mention I wanted a nap?!) I immediately felt like I needed to push. And just a few minutes later I had a baby on my chest.

Shaun and I both thought Nathan was going to be a boy for a long time. Every now and then we would entertain the thought of him being a girl, and think "heaven help us if we have 2 girls!" Hannah is by far the most spoiled little one ever. We were and are very excited to have a little boy to join our family. He is perfect.

Nathan was born at 3:50 in the morning. Less than an hour after arriving at the hospital parking lot. They didn't even get their 20 minutes of required monitoring on the machine. Looking back they were lucky to get an IV in.

I was in complete disbelief.  I had gotten it so far in my head that 1)I couldn't have a baby without medical intervention. 2) I couldn't go into labor without being induced. 3) When I was in labor, early labor was slow. 4) I was not cut out to laboring naturally. and many many others.

And yet, there I was, baby on my chest, signing papers to officially be admitted to the hospital. There is a photo Shaun took of me, completely bewildered, Nathan on my chest, signing consent to be treated papers. It is my favorite.



While the nurses were surprised how quickly I delivered after getting there, and one in particular kept giving me grief about it. Shaun and I could not believe how big Nathan was. Bowen and Hannah had both been 7lbs, (7lbs 8 oz, and 7lbs 5oz) I thought I just made 7lb babies who need an extra week to cook, and a nudge to come into the world. Nathan proved it all wrong. Coming into the world, on his own, only 4 days past my due date, and at just over 9 lbs! He didn't even look that big! (He was also almost 2 inches longer than Bowen and Hannah too!) I expected a 9lb baby to be CHUNKY, and he was not. He was built like a line backer! Solid, from head to toe. His thighs were almost as big as his waist! He didn't fit into newborn diapers. He doesnt fit into newborn clothes.

Nathan is 2 weeks old today. And I just cannot believe it.  He absolutely loves cuddles, and to be held. He doesn't like the Moana soundtrack (good luck kid!) and is currently addicted to his paci. (but only the orange one!)

I think we'll keep him. ;)





















No comments:

Post a Comment